East End Mood Disorders Virtual Support Groups (held online via Zoom)
Thursdays 6:30-8pm: For individuals with a mental health disorder
Thursdays 6:30-8pm: For families and loved ones of those with a mental health disorder
In order to register for the first time, please email Tory Masters at email@example.com.
* Separate and confidential groups are available for both those coping with a mental health disorder, as well as for their family and loved ones.
One in four Americans suffers from a mental health-related disorder. Ongoing emotional distress and a life out of balance are the primary triggers for developing a mental health disorder, which is a highly treatable disease of the brain—not a character flaw or moral failing. With the right treatment and support, a meaningful recovery is reachable.
Stony Brook Southampton Hospital is the home of The East End Mood Disorders Support Group, two separate and confidential support groups that meet every week. One is for those who suffer from a mental health disorder and one is for families and loved ones. What makes them unique is that they are run by “peers”—individuals who have had similar experiences and have found recovery and wellness strategies that transformed their own lives. Families receive compassionate and educational support on their own so that they can learn not only how to provide constructive and healing support to their loved one, but how to develop healthy boundaries and focus on their own self-care.
This peer support group is led by Tory Masters, CPRP, CPS, a recovered mental health sufferer herself and a trained Peer Specialist and Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioner. Peer Group Support is based on the shared experiences among sufferers. dispelling stigmas and the feelings of loneliness while providing trust and a deep belief in the recovery process. Participants learn more about mood disorders, proper diagnoses and effective, medical, psychiatric and holistic treatment strategies. Peer support inspires and motivates participants to find a personal recovery path that works.
These weekly groups for individuals and their families provide an empowering, confidential and recovery-oriented setting for those suffering from depression, anxiety and bipolar disorders.
Why Peer-Led Groups are Uniquely Suited to Promote Wellness
- They provide an alternative to feelings of hopelessness and isolation. Participants re-engage in the process of self-improvement and dispel the crippling ideas that these struggles are somehow their fault or due to a personal failing.
- They foster an environment that empowers and inspires attendees to help themselves and each other through shared experiences and recovery strategies.
- They motivate individuals to get educated and take personal responsibility for the self-care and self-advocacy needed to make sustained wellness a reality.
- They cultivate a sense of belonging, self-acceptance and renewed self-respect.
- They instill trust, hope and a belief that a meaningful recovery is a reachable goal.
Stony Brook Southampton Hospital is pleased to support this endeavor and partners with local mental health practitioners, elected officials, school administrators and social service organizations who are concerned with the well-being of our population.
Click here to learn about mental health disorder and substance abuse treatment at Eastern Long Island Hospital in Greenport.