Stony Brook Southampton Hospital is committed to treating every person with dignity and respect and embracing diversity, equity and inclusion among all walks of life.
“The Hospital is dedicated to creating a safe and welcoming environment for patients, visitors, and staff,” said Robert S. Chaloner, Hospital Chief Administrative Officer. “We want everyone to know they are welcomed and valued at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital, regardless of their race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity.”
The Hospital’s Diversity Leadership Council—a committee of about 20 administrators, physicians, nurses, and other staff—actively educates, informs, and provides resources for the wider Hospital community about diversity issues while seeking opportunities to build an inclusive and safe environment for all who work in, seek care at, or visit Hospital facilities.
In June 2018, members of the Diversity Leadership Council raised the rainbow flag outside the Hospital’s Main Entrance in honor of Pride Month. On October 11, 2018, the Hospital celebrated National Coming Out Day by coming out as a safe space at which members of the LGBTQ+ community can work and receive healthcare.
In order to foster a sense of inclusion and compassion for all, the Hospital has provided training to staff through the Responding to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (REDI) program and the Greater New York Hospital Association’s Cultural Competency and Health Literacy education programs.
The Hospital’s Office of Cultural Diversity provides interpretation for a wide range of languages through its Language Line and Stratus (Video Remote Interpretation) services. The Office staff also acts as a liaison between patients and Hospital staff assisting non-English speaking patients by interpreting Hospital bills, completing forms, understanding programs and services, and accessing assistance when necessary. For further information, contact the Office of Cultural Diversity at (631) 726-8331.
Diversity Leadership Council Members
• Robert S. Chaloner, Chairman (Administration)
• Alex Aponte, MD
• Tammy Ashley, RN, MSN, CNOR (Nursing)
• Magdalena Belury (Case Management)
• Steven Bernstein (Administration/Foundation)
• John Conti (Patient Access)
• Sharon Disunno (Administration)
• Charles V. Guida, MD
• Shamir Hasan, DO
• Barbara-Jo Howard (Communications and Marketing)
• Aleeya Khan (Patient Access)
• Vivian Lee (Human Resources)
• Eylin Loria (Language Interpreting Services)
• Alyssa Melillo (Communications and Marketing)
• Althea R. Mills, RN, MSN (Administration)
• Robert I. Ross (Administration)
• William Santiago (Environmental Services)
• Mary Catherine Steffan, RN, BSN (Nursing)
• Mark Strecker (Patient Experience and Education)
• Kathy Traystman (Laboratory)
• Eva Wyler (Laboratory)
• Francis Yoo, DO