Please call: (631) 726-8411 for information or (631) 396-6400 to schedule an appointment at any of our locations.
Or email SBSH_PatientAccessCallCenter@stonybrookmedicine.edu
Stony Brook Southampton Hospital’s Department of Radiology provides a wide array of advanced technologies at both the Hospital and its satellite facilities. All modalities are accredited by the American College of Radiology and the Department is staffed by Board-Certified and Fellowship-trained Radiologists. Test results will be sent to patient's physician.
Nuclear Medicine: Nuclear imaging services are available at the Hospital only.
- SPECT: Our single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) is an imaging technique that provides 3D information to diagnose and determine the severity of a variety of diseases, including many types of cancers, heart disease, and gastrointestinal, endocrine, and neurological disorders, as well as other abnormalities within the body.
- PET/CT: The new GE Discovery PET/CT 610 is the latest system from General Electric and offers true 64-slice CT capabilities alongside ultra-high sensitive digital PET detectors. It allows high-resolution imaging with low-dose CT radiation in short acquisition times. This new PET/CT scanner is Stony Brook Southampton Hospital’s entrance into our cancer services program that will help be an important tool to diagnosing primary and metastatic disease as well as following patient progress from detection to post-treatment follow-up.
- Pre-op Radioactive Seed Localization (RSL): For non-palpable breast lesions, this procedure replaces wire localizations. Only available at a few facilities in the region, this procedure provides the following advantages over needle localization: patient convenience (as seed implementation is done up to 5 days prior to scheduled surgery); surgery is optimized, because there is never a wire which may inhibit the best approach for a surgeon; and orientation of the center of localization is maintained in relation to the margins of excision.
- DaTscan™: The first and only FDA-approved visual adjunct imaging agent to aid in the differentiation between Essential Tremor and Parkinsonian Syndromes. Check with your primary care physician and your insurance provider before calling for an appointment.
- 3.0T MRI: The 3.0 Tesla MRI system provides the patient with a more comfortable and less claustrophobic experience and delivers excellent image quality to radiologists and physicians. It is the only one of its kind on the East End and redefines the imaging experience.
Interventional Radiology: Services include diagnostic and interventional angiography, stent insertion and percutaneous biopsy.
- Ultrasound: We have a complete range of imagining including 3D and 4D ultrasound, percutaneous ultrasound-guided biopsy, and ShearWave™ Elastography™.
- Breast Imaging: The Ellen Hermanson Breast Center has been designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology. The latest screening and diagnostic imaging technologies are available, including full-field 3D Mammography/Digital Tomosynthesis™ with Computer Aided Detection (CAD) and MRI with CAD. Advanced diagnostics include stereotactic ultrasound and MRI-guided core biopsy, vacuum assisted core biopsy and fine needle aspiration biopsy. A dedicated Board-certified Breast Surgeon is on staff.
- Hologic Affirm Prone Breast Biposy System: The Affirm Prone Breast Biposy System delivers faster, more comfortable procedures by increasing automation, providing superior imaging, and giving 360-degree access to the breast, creating a better experience for patients and providers. With high-quality 2D or 3D Tomosynthesis™ imaging and a field of view that is more than 6.5 times larger than older generations of prone biopsy systems, clinicians can visualize more tissue and pinpoint subtle lesions and faint calcifications that may not be vsible on older systems.
- Bone Densitometry: Osteoporosis is a growing healthcare crisis affecting millions of women and men worldwide. When detected early, it is treatable. Stony Brook Southampton Hospital offers the Hologic Dexa System for bone density testing, a safe and non-invasive procedure that, in addition to measuring bone density, can conduct a complete fracture risk assessment.
- MRI/High Definition Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Our state-of-the-art, GE Optima MR 450W with GEM 1.5T System, offers a range of new functionality, within a patient-friendly environment. MRI applications include: Body (including EOVIST® Liver Imaging), Neurological/Spinal, Orthopedic/extremity, Vascular/MR Angiography, and Breast (with Biopsy if indicated). MRI with IV Sedation (adult and pediatric) is also available.
- CT/Computed Tomography: Our GE Optima 660 64-slice CT unit offers one of the fastest scanning capabilities on the market with new low-dose radiation capabilities. Our versatile CT delivers uncompromising image quality. In addition to standard applications, advanced applications available include CT Angiography and 3D vascular imaging.