Try out this quick, grab-and-go breakfast with this recipe from Paula Montagna, MS, RD, CDN, Clinical Nutrition Manager at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital. Keep a batch of dry muesli on hand and combine with a mix of your favorite seeds, nuts and dried fruits. In advance, mix dry muesli with plain yogurt and fresh fruit at night, place in refrigerator, and "grab and go" in the morning for a delicious, healthy breakfast. You can also make enough for a few days...it keeps well!
• 5 cups rolled oats (not instant)
• 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
• 2 cups raw or dry-roasted nuts, coarsely chopped (almonds, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.)
• ½ cup ground flax seeds
• ¼ cup chia seeds
• ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds
• ½ cup dried fruit, chopped (golden raisins, cran-raisins, dates, apricots, etc.)
• ½ - 1 tablespoon your choice of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, dried orange zest, etc.
1. In the morning or the night before: Mix ½ cup dry muesli with ½ shredded apple, fresh or frozen berries and ½ cup yogurt or your favorite milk (try almond or cashew milk).
2. Let sit overnight, or for 30-60 minutes, for a smooth and creamy consistency.