Protein from quinoa and vitamins and minerals from various vegetables make this salad a great sidedish or meal. Shared by Paula Montagna, MS, RD, CDN, Clinical Nutrition Manager at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white quinoa
• 1 red bell pepper
• ½ cup green onion/scallions or red onion
• ½ cup kalamata Greek black olives, pitted
• 2 stalks celery
• 1 cup chopped seedless or Kirby cucumbers
• 1 cup cherry/grape tomatoes, sliced in half
• 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
• ½ cup slivered almonds for garnish
• ½ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (optional)
• 1 cup canned artichokes, chopped (optional)
• ½ cup fresh parsley (optional)
• ¼ cup rice vinegar
• Juice and zest of one lemon
• 3 teaspoons garlic, minced (optional)
• ½ cup olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse quinoa in cold water for 3-4 minutes. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
2. Bring water to boil in a saucepan, add quinoa, and boil for 10 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
3. While quinoa is cooling, make dressing by combining all dressing ingredients.
4. Chop all vegetables. Combine vegetables in a large bowl, add dressing.
5. Stir in cooled quinoa and feta cheese.
6. Garnish with slivered almonds. Serve at room temperature or chilled.