Eating the colors of the rainbow in this salad will help provide a healthy dose of antioxidants and phytochemicals to fight inflammation and oxidative stress! Shared by Paula Montagna, MS, RD, CDN, clinical nutrition manager at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.
Ingredients for Salad
• 1 medium raw beet
• 1-2 medium sweet potatoes or 1 small butternut squash
• 1 tbs extra virgin coconut oil
• 1 cup fresh pineapple
• 3 cups fresh baby arugula, baby spinach, and kale
• 1 cup raw broccoli florets
• 1 cup blueberries
• 1 cup shredded cabbage
• ½ cup pumpkin seeds
• ½ cup sunflower seeds
Ingredients for Dressing
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 tbsp Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• ½ tbsp pure maple syrup or raw honey
• ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• ½ tsp turmeric
• Fresh ground pepper
• Salt to taste
1. Clean and peel beet and shred with a box grater.
2. Clean and peel sweet potato and cut into small chunks. Place on a pan with coconut oil and roast in oven for 10-15 minutes until tender.
3. Brush pineapple with olive oil and broil under broiler or in a grill pan.
4. Add ingredients to a bowl in the order of the colors of the rainbow (ROYGBIV). Or divide into 4 mason jars for a healthy lunch.
5. Add all ingredients for dressing in a mason jar. Shake until combined. Drizzle on top of salad.
6. Garnish with seeds for extra protein.