These sweet potato black bean burgers are packed with a healthy dose of nutrients, including vitamin A, carotenoids, lutein, beta carotene, vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B6 and potassium, copper, fiber and phytonutrients. Enjoy them at your next BBQ with tomato, red onion and guacamole! Shared by Paula Montagna, MS, RD, CDN, Clinical Nutrition Manager at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital. Recipe adapted from Happy Healthy Mama.
• 1 tbs ground flax seed meal + 3 tbs water (set aside and let gel) or 1 egg
• 1 cup mashed sweet potato
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
• ¼ cup fresh cilantro
• 1 tsp chili powder
• ½ tsp oregano
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 lime, zested and juiced
• Olive or avocado oil
1. Bake sweet potato in oven, allow to cool. Mash with fork.
2. Mash black beans in a bowl. You can leave a few intact for texture.
3. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Form into 6 patties. Chill until ready to grill.
4. Heat oil in skillet or grill pan, or place on a grill pan or on tin foil on your grill.
5. Cook on one side for 5-7 minutes until crisp.
6. Carefully flip and cook additional 5 minutes.