This fresh and festive plate will brighten up any holiday table spread. Shared by Paula Montagna, MS, RD, CDN, Clinical Nutrition Manager at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.
Balsamic Glaze Ingredients
• 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) balsamic vinegar
• 12 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes
• 10 ounces fresh cherry-sized mozzarella balls
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3-4 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
• Handful shredded basil leaves for garnish
• Flaked sea salt and ground pepper to season
1. For the balsamic glaze, add balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan and heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow it to simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until reduced by one-third and thickened like syrup.
2. Wash and dry the tomatoes. Arrange them in a circle on a large serving plate or round platter. Drain the mozzarella balls and arrange between tomatoes.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and season with the Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Toss the tomatoes and mozzarella with a spoon to evenly coat with the oil.
4. Garnish with the fresh shredded basil.
5. To serve, pour the balsamic glaze into a bowl and place the bowl in the center of the wreath. Arrange toothpicks around and underneath the tomatoes and mozzarella, with the sharp ends pointing toward the middle of the plate.