It's never too cold for ice cream! Put a seasonal twist on this cool treat with a blend of spices and pumpkin puree added right into the base. Shared by Paula Montagna, MS, RD, CDN, Clinical Nutrition Manager at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital. Recipe adapted from Against All Grain.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Ingredients
• ¼ tsp ginger
• ¼ tsp allspice
• ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
• ¼ tsp ground cloves
• ¼ tsp turmeric (optional for inflammation)
• 2 tsp cinnamon
Ice Cream Ingredients
• 1 cup pumpkin puree
• 1 banana, peeled (the riper the better)
• 1/2 cup coconut milk
• 2 tablespoons grade B maple syrup or honey
• 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1. Fill an ice cube tray evenly with the pumpkin puree, making about 7-8 cubes.
2. Cover tightly with plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn.
3. Place the banana in a Ziploc bag and place it and the ice cube tray in the freezer overnight.
4. Remove the cubes from the tray and let them sit in a bowl on the counter for 10 minutes.
5. Remove the banana from the bag and place it and the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or blender.
6. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if needed. If you have an older food processor or blender, you may need to wait a little longer to let the frozen items thaw a bit before it will be able to process for you.
7. Scoop into a bowl and enjoy!