This recipe combines roasted beets with fresh, crisp spinach and apples to create a crunchy, flavorful salad that pairs perfectly with other dishes at your next summer BBQ! Shared by Paula Montagna, MS, RD, CDN, Clinical Nutrition Manager at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.
• 3 beets
• 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
• 4 cups packed fresh spinach, trimmed
• 1 apple, peeled and chopped
• 1/2 cup walnuts
• 1 tsp curry powder
• 1/3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 2/3 cup olive oil
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• Salt/pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash and dry beets. Place beets on tin foil, drizzle with olive oil, and wrap. Roast for 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool and then slice into strips.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, oil, mustard, salt, pepper and curry powder.
3. In large bowl, add spinach, chopped apple, beets, and walnuts. Add salad dressing and toss to coat.